Recycling


We try to be really good about recycling what we can at home, the new BIGGER toter is a great help since we can dump everything in and don't have to sort on our own. So I "saved" this tuna can from the toter!

Over at Club Scrap forum we had a challenge to use a tuna can to make a shrine. I ran mine through the dishwasher to thoroughly clean it and rid it of any fishy smells! The challenge started with tuna cans, but some people used different types of tins to make theirs. All very inspiring. This is the one I made for Dani and it should have flown across country and be landing at her door-step today or tomorrow!

I have an attraction to all sorts of bird images & stamps lately so it's no surprise that my tuna can grew wings. I covered the can with alcohol inks to start off with - Denim & Stonewashed.
Then I clear embossed on some background paper and then used my Distress inks over top of that to darker the paper and make the embossed images pop. There is some silver German scrap around the outside of the can. The bird is a clip art image attached to a real little branch and then it's glued onto about 3 mini-scrabble tiles to pop it up from the bottom (back) of the can. The nest is clip art glued to a flattened bottlecap and popped up with one Scrabble tile. Small quote is glued on the bottom. Then small wooden letters spelling FLY are attached via Crafter's Pick Ultimate glue. The wings are attached on the back and are made by painting with two shades of Distress Crackle paint - which I wasn't too happy with so I covered them with some mulberry type paper and then ran it through a Cuttlebug Embossing folder (Swiss Dots). Then I added more color with Distress inks and then sanded a little bit. Then I glued a wooden game piece to the bottom for a stand - this took some careful props since one side of the tin is heavier than the other.

Now... go have a tuna sandwich and save that can!

Comments