Gesso Resist Technique


I've seen this type of technique around before, but this month in the Club Stamp newsletter they are featuring "Gesso Espresso" with the yummy new Raku kit. So my friend Jen and I challenged each other to try it out.
You emboss your image with clear EP and clear ink (use Versamark or clear embossing ink) then when that's done you apply gesso over the top of everything - easiest way is using an old credit card to smear it on. Then gently wipe the gesso off the embossed images.



This card uses images from Oxford Impressions, "The Bird's Nest" sheet of rubber. For the bird I stamped in black and then colored the bird with a bit of Stormy Sky Distress ink using a Cut 'n Dry foam nib.  Then using a stipple brush to apply some burgundy ink around the edges.   I did the gesso resist on some background paper from K & Company and the little tag that are from their Flora and Fauna line.  The cardstock is Bazzil.
The "Joy" card started with a piece of background paper I had saved from a Stampington magazine.  I did the gesso resist using Stampin' Up's Just Believe set, which is also the stamped frame. Saying is from Hampton Arts.  All other cardstock and the ribbon is the Club Scrap Raku kit.

I will say that I have a few pieces that I'm not too thrilled with, but may find use for yet.  Darker cardstock and bold images seem to be the best ones to use for this particular technique.

Comments

Capescrapper said…
I couldn't get it to work myself. Love yours though!
Maria Ontiveros said…
Thanks for the instructions. Seems like something I'd want to try. Love those bird images.
Rinda
Jen said…
I think yours are very nice. Will post mine tomorrow. Haven't mastered the technique yet, or even come close. But it does seem worth trying again. I think the gesso consistency has something to do with the success rate.
Tracy Bollinger said…
They are both wonderful. Of course the bird card caught my attention.
Chris Arlington said…
Lovely blog. Wonderful posts. I like the card you made for TJ too. thanks for sharing.