Grungy Monday 05

This week we were challenged to a technique from 2008 that Tim Holtz shows how to make a niche for a scrapbook page. Ofcourse you can take those same instructions and use them on a variety of projects or cards, not just for scrappin'!  You can check out the specifics of the challenge and find the link to a video that explains it on the Studio L3 blog.

I have been meaning to finish up on a swapped page book for sometime now, so the idea of a niche for the cover popped into my head a few days ago.  You can see some of my pages in this post.  But my ring-bound book will just have the pages I received in the swap.  The pages are 6x6 and are quite dimensional, so I made the cover 6.5 x 6.5 and then opted to just use one ring in the top corner since trying to use the Bind-it-All would've been hard considering all the extras on each page.


I covered the foam core piece with papers from Stampin' Up and placed a rusted tin bird in the opening. I wrapped the edges with tissue tape just to be sure everything was covered!  The saying is stamped and then edges colored with Distress Ink in Walnut Stain. The sentiment is from Oxford Impressions.  It's fairly simple, but seemed to work best with this project.

Comments

Unknown said…
I like this project......I need to start doing more of this type of thing
Capescrapper said…
It came out so good Nancy! Well done! Love the little birdie.
Rachelle said…
It's beautiful, Nancy! The little bird in the niche is the perfect focal!
WHat a good idea to use this technique for a book cover! I love your bird also!
Chrissie said…
That tissue tape around the edge makes it!! Well done as always Young Nancy!
Jen said…
This is fantastic! Perfect cover for that swap book. And now that you mention it, I'm glad I haven't already punched mine with Bind-it-all. Rings will work much better with the chunky pages in mIne, too.
Jane said…
Great job! I love the little bird and the especially the way you used the tissue tape for the edges.
Sarah said…
Your book is just fab - so chunky and the bird is a great finishing touch.

Sarah at 54
Kim said…
The book cover is a perfect use for this technique!! I love that little bird! I can't wait to browse your book.