Making your own embellishments

 This is the last week of my scrapbooking camp over at Club Scrap.  Last month's kit, Just Dandy, seemed perfect for layouts of  summertime in my area of California.  The hills/mountains on the eastern part of our valley turn gold. 

The ALSB for this kit called for many items that come with the Embellishment Side, which I don't have. What to do?  Make your own!  I used some of the unmounted stamps from the kit to stamp the border strip with some golden and rust Gelatos.  Then I used a combination of the gelatos and dye inks to stamp some collage type papers and punch circles using my circle punches.  The one that looks like a ring I first punched out a 2" circle then was able to get the ring by re-punching with a 2 1/2" punch.

this is the layout featuring some of the hills we hiked around.  Lucky for us we are having a pretty mild summer, as it can get very hot back in these hills.  I'm anxious to return in the spring for the wild flower show!
Joseph D. Grant Ranch house

Water tower and Cook House

Rose Garden with house and Mt. Hamilton in the background


If you look way at the top hill you can see Lick Observatory atop Mount Hamilton.  From  J.D. Grant's bedroom on the second floor he had a great view of the Observatory.   There are still the concrete outlines of the swimming pool on the "front" lawn, I'm sure it was very handy to have that on those hot summer days at the ranch.

You can learn more about the ranch here. As a child we went on picnics up near this area at Smith Creek.  This was before the Grant's daughter died and gave the ranch to the county in 1972. 

Comments

Maria Ontiveros said…
It's so easy to do, but something I never seem to think about. Thanks for the reminder! Love the embellie on the right hand side especially.
rinda
Jen said…
Love these embellies. We're going to do them for every kit, right?

And I love the photos, too. That water tower is cool.