Double Take - sketch layout class

Recently I took an on-line class at Big Picture Classes with my friend Jennifer,  see her blog here.  The class is called Double Take and was four weeks of sketches by May Flaum and Nic Howard, all resulting in double page layouts.  I mostly work with double page layouts as they give me more real estate to get all the photos in.  I'm not one to use just one photo on a page and haven't found a way I like doing single pages and incorporating them in a scrapbook.   I'm using this class to stretch myself and try new things and to USE MY STASH!
For this layout I used some assorted cardstock from my stash and papers from a Grab Box I had ordered from Webster's Pages.  They have some beautiful papers, flowers and what-not.  I sometimes buy these supplies and then don't know what to do with them.  This is a bit out of my comfort zone, but I thought all the botanical items went well with the photos of the Luther Burbank home and gardens.
 
For me having sketches to start from are a great way to get myself to get some scrapbooking done.  I usually have a hard time coming up with something creative unless I have this foundation to build upon.  Do you scrap totally from scratch or do you use sketches or other inspiration to start your pages?

sorry the photo is a bit crooked... can't seem to get a straight picture!

Supplies:
Cardstock: Club Scrap, Stampin' Up
Patterned paper & Vellum: Webster's Pages
Flowers, stickers, chipboard buttons: Webster's Pages
misc: Border punch from Fiskars

Comments

Maria Ontiveros said…
What a great idea for a class! I'm so not into the one photo per page idea or one page layouts. One of the reasons I like ALSB is because it's basically a sketch. I also like other sketches.
rinda
Unknown said…
I'm really liking what you did with this layout - one reason I don't scrap is I don't like just putting one photo on a page.......and I love the way you managed this .

TFS
Jen said…
I thought I commented on this lovely layout but I see it does not appear. I think you did a great job on this one. Even if it is out of your comfort zone. Perhaps BECAUSE it is out of your CZ. I love it.