Tutorial - Embossing & Inking trick





As promised, back to show you a neat trick!
I learned this clever trick for embossing or coloring items that are small from a class I took from Jennifer McGuire, works great for die cut cardstock!

Start by assembling your cut pieces, then working on a craft sheet adhere them to the sticky side of a post-it note.  This gives you more "real estate" to work with;  the pieces don't have to be held by your fingers and they tend to not move around so much.  It's great for embossing also, gives you something to hold that isn't so close to the heat and your small pieces don't fly around the room!
these are my die cut flowers adhered to the post-it


Stamp and emboss (here I stamped with Versamark and embossed with clear powder)

add color!

and here is what I did with the little flower pieces once they were done!
The finished piece I will probably add to an art journal - I recently got some new stencils (shout out to Tracy!) and I thought she would look lovely with a flower in her hair.  "If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair"  oops, slipped into the 60's there....

I am accumulating alot of these cool 6x6 stencils and am wondering if anyone has some good ideas for storing them?  It's a pain to slip them back into the little plastic sleeves they come in, not to mention I'm starting to tear the edges of the packaging.

supplies:
Post-It notes - 3M
stencils - Crafter's Workshop
Stamps - Dina Wakley, Stampington (script) Hero Arts, background on flower
ink: India black and Distress inks
Die: Stampin' Up

Comments

Kim R said…
I love this trick!
Post-its are one of the best inventions ever!
Jen said…
What is up with this face drawing? Are you going to tutor me on that, too? Cause I ain't ever gonna be able to draw a face. 

Love the card and lesson on how to ink up little things. Clever. 
Ink-Pattie said…
I use a Club Scrap pizza box to store my stencils, since I have a few that are 12x12 or 12 inches long. Works great!
Capescrapper said…
Well isn't that just the best little trick ever!?! Love it thanks Nancy!
Deb C said…
I've heard of some people storing stencils in a 3-ring binder with page protectors. Use a piece of cardstock in the middle so you can put one on each side. I keep mine in an accordion folder.

Love the tip and the colors in your piece. Orange is one of my favorite colors!
Connie Lutz said…
Great tip!