Sewing on Cards/Bookmarks

Some friends in a little art group I belong to do a lot of cool things with sewing onto cards, bookmarks, altered art and the like.  I've been dying to try that, but the fear of how horrible I did in 7th grade Home Ec class, along with the frustrations I felt in later years sewing simple craft items had been keeping me from actually trying it.  And the fact that I had no sewing machine!  I had purchased a tiny craft machine that ran on batteries years ago, but really that thing seemed to be a piece of junk that I could never get to work right.

So the other week I decided to go looking through some attic storage for my "old" machine.  My mother-in-law had purchased it for me 30+ years ago.  Now, she was a seamstress!  It didn't rub off on me too much though.  But I found the machine, plugged it in and it works!  I can sew on paper now.  My seams are anywhere but close to straight, but it's doing the job I want it to do.

I'm working with the navy blue thread that's already in the machine, it will probably be a huge production when I want to switch colors - the thought of threading it all again makes me sweat.  I did have a wee bit of trouble, but lucky for us you can google search just about anything these days and I found my answer!

The image sheet was done by first using a stencil with some Distress Stain.  Then I used another circular themed stencil and Gelato metallic colors.  Then I stamped over all of it with some cool seaside images from Pink Paislee's Nantucket line.  I had been wanting to use the Seahorse for a while.  When I started these bookmarks I didn't have a plan in mind,  just that I wanted to start with stencils.  And since green is a go to color for me that's where I started.  I thought the resulting stenciled piece looked like some good colors for the fun beachy, sea-side stamps.   

supplies:
Papers: Club Scrap
Stamps: Pink Paislee, Nantucket
Mediums: Distress Stains, Gelatos. India Ink black ink pad
Stencils: Club Scrap, Crafter's Workshop

Comments

Jen said…
These are so cool. And what great stitching. Good thing navy blue went with your color scheme.
Maria Ontiveros said…
I love those seahorses!
Rinda
Capescrapper said…
Nancy, love these. And well done with the sewing!