Multilayered

Day three of Boot Camp and the prompt was "multilayered".  Others in the class have posted such great work, many of them are doing photography and that lends itself to lots of good shots!  For my tag I started with the  "inky layers" technique in Bernie Berlin's book - Artist Trading Card Workshop.  It's not only layers of papers but inks and paints also.  I grabbed a bag of cardstock, ephemera and other goodies that I had picked up at a LSS flea market several years ago, I've only used a small bit of it up until now.  It's got a "green and Paris" type theme to it, you cannot believe all the goodies I got for only $3.  So that was what I used as inspiration for this piece. 

You start with various pieces of paper glued down and then glaze of color over the top.  I used Golden fluid acrylic paint mixed with some glaze medium.  When that is dry you add pigment ink. I chose to use some Colorbox cats eye pads, super easy to do  direct to paper with these.  Then some iridescent Lumiere  paint is added in places, I mostly concentrated on the edges but you can see the sheen.  Then I went to work on adding the woman image (and her dress stamped on a paint chip), the Paris word that came from some stationary in the bag, a clear page pebble that was adhered over more stationary, and finally a silver leaf that I added some of the olive Lumiere paint too.

I also wanted to show you some of the steps along the way and my cool tool I use to burnish everything down when I collage using a glue stick.  It's a wooden brayer - I've found them near the polymer clay supplies at my local hobby store. 

The next photo is when all the paints and inks have been added and I'm getting ready to add all of the other parts.  You can see better the layers of paint and ink on this one and the supplies that I used.






Comments

Julie Shoemaker said…
Nice work Nancy...I may try to start and catch up on this project. Looks like fun.
Maria Ontiveros said…
Great post Nancy! I remember that technique from when I worked through Bernie's book. The thing about it was that I was very "eh" about it, until the last step when everything came together and popped and I said "wow!" Thanks for reminding me about this fun technique.
Rinda
Connie Lutz said…
great idea to pull out a technique to use. Love the finished tag. Yeah - thinking I may join in!